Online Complaint Form

The DPU can help you resolve disputes with utilities regarding electric, natural gas, water service and very limited aspects of local telephone service.

*** You MUST first try to resolve your dispute directly with the utility before contacting the DPU for assistance. If you are unsuccessful in resolving your concern directly with the utility, you may contact the DPU.

Use this form to file an informal complaint against a utility within the State of Utah.

PLEASE NOTE: Complaints elevated to FORMAL COMPLAINTS and filed with the Commission are public documents and will be published on the Commission's website. )

Those items marked with * are required entries.

    Utility Customer (The name on your bill or account)

    Service Address

    Mail Address

    Utility against which you are filing a complaint

    Your Complaint